Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Green Living: Fabric Nappies



No, they're not for everyone. Yes, I am quite keen on them. Yes, I do wash slightly more often. No, I don't find them gross 'cause, well, there's poo in them regardless of what they're made of.

There's a growing number of cloth mamas around, and also a lot of mamas who are interested but overwhelmed, so I thought I could share what I've done to get on the cloth bandwagon, and hope that this may help someone.

I know there's a bazillion different brands out there now, but I found one I liked and just stuck with them. I ordered a test pack to make sure they worked and fit properly and then I just went ahead and ordered enough for three days. (Like I've said before, giving yourself endless options doesn't make your decision quicker, likely the opposite).

I use Bambooty nappies on both of my kids. I've got 3 days' worth in small, medium and large and I very rarely have to revert to using disposables (although I do keep a pack for upset-tummy-emergencies or rainy-week happenings).

I opt to use the flushable liner in my kids' nappies as it does make getting rid of poo a little easier so I just pop in in the loo on my way to the laundry.

(In the interests of safety and hygiene I keep the dirty nappy bucket in the laundry.) I use a dry bucket to keep dirty nappies, so I just spray them with a tea-tree oil and water mix and pop them straight in the bucket. The bucket gets washed and sprayed with vinegar on washing day and I sprinkle bicarb in the bottom to get rid of any smells.

On washing day I use a half-strength scoop of environmentally-friendly laundry powder (it's the only time I use it - on Bambooty's suggestion) and a sprinkle of bicarb. No vinegar in the wash as it can affect the absorption quality of the nappies. I make sure to wash using 60C water (again, the only time I wash in anything other than cold water) which is hot enough to kill any bacteria.

It really is simple once you find your groove, just like any new routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!