Wednesday, June 22, 2011

K.I.S.S: Organising the Kitchen




I'm not a natural-born organiser. In my natural state I'm more of a seat-of-the-pantser, but I find that ridiculously frustrating and know that I do much better at life if I'm at least semi-organised.

So as part of the Great Experiment I've decided to put effort into organising my life, bit by bit.

Over the weekend I tackled the pesky drygoods cupboard. You know the one where you shove random bags of brown sugar, cocoa, flour and breadcrumbs in amongst bottles of food colouring, vanilla essence and loose sultanas that have fallen out of their box? Yeah, that cupboard.

It's not rocket science, but I had a strategy in place to tackle it, and it meant a grand total of ten minutes (shopping time extra, but it doesn't count because I went and had a coffee: bonus!) and I was done. And felt amazingly satisfied!
1. Listed everything I had stored in the cupboard
2. Figured out what sized container I needed to accommodate a full bag+
3. Armed with the list I went shopping for the containers I needed (what price is organisation? For me, $30! Thank you, Big W).
4.Transferred everything to its container and labelled each one. (OK, an admission, I haven't actually done the labelling yet, but I will. Because it is very, very important......)


That's it. Simple, I know. But even so I had put off doing this for ages because it felt like such a sucky way to spend my time. But now that it's done, it really does make a difference. It's easier to see what I have, what I need and what I have inadvertently bought 6 bags of (yes, you, desiccated coconut). Plus now I don't have to dodge a cascade of cocoa every time I get something off the top shelf!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!