Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cheap-As Tuesday: Tuna and Vege Pie

My Meat-Free Monday resources are slowly drying up, and I'm needing to find some more quick, cheap and easy meat-free options. In the meantime though, I though I'd start posting some of my favourite thrifty meals, as this is where I come into my own. Sorry, Margaret Fulton, but I can feed my family for less than that tenner in your hand!


Tonight's dinner is actually a "kids" dinner, but Sparky and I dig it too, so it's win-win!
You'll need:

2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
large tin tuna, flaked and drained
1+ cup of grated cheese
1 onion, finely diced 
1+ cups frozen veges (I use peas, carrots and corn)
OR tin corn kernels, drained
1 egg, lightly beaten

1. Combine tuna, onion, veges and cheese in a bowl.

2. Put one sheet of pastry in the bottom of a greased baking dish, and fill with the tuna mix.

3. Season if you'd like, then place the second sheet of pastry over the top, pinching/tucking it into the side of the dish, to get a fairly good seal.

4. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and put into a preheated oven (200C) for around 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and flaky and the filling is bubbling away.

We have ours with steamed veges, but it would be yummo with homemade chips, baked sweet potato or salad too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!