Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pikelets and Playdough

One. Of. Those. Weeks.

Today I managed to drag myself through the morning before the kids had their sleeps using a combination of sheer will, deep breathing, pikelets and playdough. I'm here now, writing, so I can tell you I made it through.

Bonus: I had an epiphany.

Pikelets are delicious. Milo is also delicious. Bringing pikelets and Milo together = delicious squared. (Recipe below).

Ugly? Yes. Tasty? Also yes.

Isy loves cooking at the moment, and I'm using the whole measuring, pouring, mixing routine to help her learn her 1-10, colours and basic cooking ingredients. Negative: our oven is broken so it's really only pikelets on the baking menu right now. Tasty bummer.

You'll need:


1 1/4 cups SR flour
2 tbsp caster sugar
3/4 cup milk
1-2 tbsp Milo
60g melted butter, cooled
1 egg
extra melted butter for greasing

1. Combine flour and sugar in a bowl.

2. Whisk milk, butter, egg and Milo together until well combined. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.

3. Brush some melted butter onto a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Place tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and cook until bubbles form. Then flip and cook for another minute or so.

4. Serve with jam, cream, butter or just by themselves, warm from the pan. 

Really truly delicious.

My playdough recipe can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!