Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Play Time! The Useful Box.



Strainers are way fun, but a useful box is better
I'm guessing most people grew up watching Play School. I know I did. And in fact, I remember pulling out my first tooth watching Play School. I was trying to pull my green flanelette nightie over my knees, using my teeth (as you do) when POP! out came my tooth. I freaked out. And somewhere in the back of my mind, I have always associated Big Ted and Jemima with my teeth ever since.

Weird anecdotes aside, I've started to put together a Useful Box for Isla, when we get our craft on. It's a great way to recycle bits and pieces from around the house, and it means we can replicate lots of the crafts they make on Play School. (Almost all the crafts on Play School are made with toilet rolls, masking tape, crepe paper and paddle pop sticks. Totes inventive!) Not all of it is recycled, but some are party leftovers and others are from cheapy shops, like The Reject Shop.

So far I've got:
  • egg cartons
  • toilet rolls
  • glad wrap/foil rolls and boxes
  • pasta boxes
  • ribbon and fabric scraps
  • pegs
  • wool
  • pipe cleaners
  • googley eyes
  • mini pom poms
  • paddle pop sticks
  • plastic cups
  • paper plates
  • stickers
  • newspaper
  • tissue paper
  • old magazines
  • butchers twine
  • balloons
  • felt
  • rubber bands (from our newspapers)
  • crepe paper
It's a work in progress, but I love that I can look at our recycling or "rubbish" and find fun, creative uses for a lot of it. Plus I totally love making things out of crepe paper!

If you're looking for a humongous list of creative play time activities for your little ones, nieces, nephews or neighbours' kids, or if you're just keen on making puppets out of toilet rolls, check out the Play School activities listed here. Many a winters day will be had...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!