Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Gift Challenge Begins

A couple of weeks ago I challenged myself to make every gift purchase this year either handmade, homemade, vintage or repurposed. Easter is nearly upon us, and while we're not huge on Easter gift giving here, we do have lots of nieces and nephews and couldn't not get them something chocolatey.

So I decided to make the chocolates myself. I found some cute chocolate molds at House and bought a few packets of chocolate melts. I already had some food colouring on hand, as well as some sprinkles. It was totally time-consuming and totally delicious, but I think it was a success.

Actually, I know it was a success because we have eaten them all and I need to make another batch.

But basically I melted half a pack of melts at a time (in a double boiler situation) and coloured the white chocolate with a couple of drops of green, pink and yellow food colouring, to give that cutesy, traditional pastel feel. I also made a lot of milk chocolate eggs (much tastier than the white chocolate, I have to admit) and sprinkled the backs with different coloured '00s and '000s.

Just a tip, err on the side of underfilling your molds rather than overfilling. They get a chunky looking edge to them if you over-fill.






Apologies for the lack of photos, but I was too busy licking spoons to take many shots. I'll take some of the finished presents though, I promise!

As for packaging, I have a drawer-full of pretty paper and bags I've been given gifts in over the years (who doesn't? I swear those things multiply) so I'm sure I'll find something in there that I can use.

If nothing else, I know this exercise works out cheaper than buying Lindt bunnies for everyone. All up, I made (and consumed) enough chocolate for everyone and it cost around $20, including the reusable molds, so I'm well ahead money-wise. Just a few hours poorer time-wise!

1 comment:

  1. It is really a helpful blog to find some different source to add my knowledge. Best Cookware Set

    ReplyDelete

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!