Tuesday, August 9, 2011

K.I.S.S: Paper Traps!

I'm very very bad at lots of things: returning phonecalls and emails, cooking with chicken (it freaks me out) and keeping our bills and other admin-y type things in order.

As a result of the last one, I occasionally am late paying bills - oops - which really bugs me. It introduces unnecessary stress into my life, and as we know, I'm allll about reducing stress.

I've been looking at my life and trying to pinpoint the recurring stressors, and while there are many, there are a few that I think can do a better job at managing:
- paperwork/filing
- bills
- weekly meals/grocery shopping
- managing appointments/schedules
I read somewhere that the best way to deal with paper traps is to touch it once. That is, to have a place where you bring in your mail, open it, recycle what's not needed, sort what is and pay your bills or take any required action. It means you know exactly what to do with every thing that comes in your mailbox. Of course, my life isn't that predictable and usually when I bring the mail in I have a hungry baby in one hand and a stack of mail and local newspapers in the other, with a nappy beg around my neck and a toddler hanging off my knee. But, you know, the intention is there...

So with all that in mind, and as part of our ongoing renovations, Sparky and I have decided to build a bench in the back family/dining room that will function as a hub for all that kind of stuff.


I saw this one on design*sponge a few weeks ago and knew that was basically what we were after, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will put ours together.

The plan being that we incorporate a place for all the following in the one space:
- opening mail
- recycling any unnecessary mail
- box for action (bills to be paid etc)
- box for filing (paid bills)
- laptop
- phone/laptop/ipad chargers
- home phone
- notepad
- shopping list
Ours will be higher than the one featured above, and we will have a couple of stools tucked in underneath which means I can check emails, pay bills etc while keeping an eye on the kidlets. A vase of flowers or an indoor plant, plus a couple of artworks on the wall and it should match in really well with the midcentury/industrial/nanna/eclectic/crafty/diy vibe we're going for (!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!