Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Green Living : Make Your Own Baby Food


We're in the throes of introducing little Toby to all sorts of new fruits and veges at the moment (he is such a guts too - would literally eat anything and everything we offer him!) so making baby food is at the forefront of my brain these days.

Making your own baby food is really simple, and I find that if I do it all on a Sunday (my cooking/baking day) then it's hardly stressful at all. Like most things, if you do it in bulk, the benefits are outweighed by the slightest bit of extra work. Plus it's a lot cheaper than buying baby food all the time, and I know exactly what's in it. (Better still when I can get local and/or organic fruit and veges to use, but that doesn't happen all the time. Or most the time.)
Some good combos, as approved by Toby are:

- pear and apple
- pumpkin, sweet potato and corn
- carrot and corn
- pumpkin, potato, zucchini 
- (rice or pasts can be added to any of these as bub develops)

1. Peel and chop your chosen fruit/veges. The pieces should be around 2cm each.

2. Put in a saucepan with a little water - around 1-2cm.

3. Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer until the fruit or veges are tender.

4. Use a blender or a stick mixer to blend up the food for young babies, and a fork to mash it up once your little one can handle slightly chunkier food.

5. I freeze Toby's food in plastic containers and pull it out as needed. 

When you're travelling or get caught short, there's now a few good, organic baby food options at the supermarket.

Raffertys garden is a good one, but I'd go for their organic products, as last time I looked I realized there's no mention of their regular products being GMO free. So best avoided I'd say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!