Friday, July 1, 2011

Making Your Own Bread

image: baobread on Flickr

Before Toby came along, I sometimes found myself with enough time to bake a loaf of bread from scratch. It was delicious and ridiculously satisfying. But since around October last year I haven't had time to think about it.

But the reality is that buying bread from the supermarket is expensive (up to $5 for a loaf of Helga's) and even pricier for good quality, locally baked bread ($6-8 from the bakehouse) plus lots of brands have additives, preservatives and loads of sugar/salt.  So I've known that making your own would be better and cheaper and more in keeping with our new way of living but, seriously, who has the time to bake bread once every couple of days? (And if you do, then hats off, my friend!)

Anyway, I've been stalking ebay for a few things for our house recently, and thought I'd check out the breadmaker situtation. $60 later we scored ourselves a big loaf bread machine!

I used it twice yesterday, to make a fruit loaf and a soy and linseed wholegrain loaf, and can I tell you how delicious and easy it was. Just add your ingredients, press a few buttons and three-ish hours later, yummy bread. I'll freeze half of each loaf so we can use it over the weekend.

The fruit loaf I did from scratch but the soy and linseed loaf I used a Laucke breadmix. Both ways turn out at around $2 per loaf, which is tops.

I know that breadmakers fall into that 'Christmas present you you use twice and then stick in a cupboard and feel vaguely guilty about' category (hence the number of them on ebay, I'm guessing) and I also know that they use a bit of electricity and are bulky to store. BUT its a matter of weighing up the pros and cons and we figured, considering we'll use it 2-3 times a week and save at least $20 off the groceries bill every fortnight, that it was worthwhile.

I'll let you know how we go, but for now, I've got a breakfast date with some fruit loaf and a strong black coffee. The kids have both been up since 5am. Eugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!