Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Things I Have Done


When I started thinking about living life more lavender (twee alert!), I was overwhelmed with how much I could do. In fact, I was so overwhelmed that I did nothing instead. Information overload and all that.

It wasn't until I re-read A Slice of Organic Life that I started to think in small chunks. And those chunks were things I could actually manage.

True to form, I still ended up getting way over-excited and decided I would become the permaculture-organic-make-or-grow-everything-myself Queen. But I have since settled back down and decided that any improvements we make are still improvements, and besides, I can't sew to save my life so there is no way I could possibly make everything.

The best way for me to tackle information-overload-induced procrastination is by doing one thing at a time. So weekly, or more regualrly perhaps, I'll provide a post with a you-can-do-it-now tip. Sometimes they'll be big, sometimes they'll be small, but you can almost always do it now and improve your LQ (Lavender Quotient).

So if you're looking for one thing you can do right now to improve your LQ, make it this:

Check out what you can and can't recycle 
in your local council area. 

Recycling Near You is such a cool, simple concept (Sorry, this one is Australia only at this stage). Just pop your postcode in and it tells you straight away info like what you can/can't recycle in your council bins, what your hard rubbish nights are, links to council documents, etc.

Mobius Symbol. From Bless Designs.
Again, I'm in danger of exposing what an enormous dork I am, but I was so excited to get a definitive answer to the question of what exactly I can recycle. I was so stoked to find out that any plastics from the laundry, kitchen and bathroom can be recycled by my council (sans lids and not including clingwrap) as well as the fact that the envelopes I receive on a daily basis with the plastic windows can also be chucked in with the recyclables. We can recycle al-foil here so I now use that and baking paper rather than clingwrap, and not that we order take-away very often but when we do, the plastic boxes can all go too. Score one for the nerds!

So that is one thing you can do this week that will actually make a difference. And I started paying so much more attention to what was going into our rubbish bin as a result, which has meant we now only fill our regular rubbish bin to about 1/4 of its capacity. Our recycling bin is always full though. Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci! Ta! Xie xie!